Tuesday, 26 March 2013

Wool, fur and feathers

Spring????

Brrrrrrr.....

 I understand how sheep keep warm with their thick, woolly coats. 


But how on earth do they cope wearing the same coat in all weathers? 

This time last year the ewes and newborns were out in the fields behind Poppy Cottage enjoying beautiful sunshine.





It was warm enough for Miss M to be out there with them in only her pyjamas!
I wouldn't let her stand out there in her pyjamas now! 
She would need lots of layers, a warm coat, scarf, hat and gloves today!

This year the new lambs arrived in much colder weather.


Which soon turned much worse!


Now the snow is melting 


But it's still bitterly cold out there.


 This ewe came over to see what I was doing!
There was very loud bleating and a bit of foot stamping!


So just how do the sheep manage? And those poor little lambs. They huddle up against the hedgerow for protection when the wind blows hard and bitter cold across the field, but one bleat from mum and they gambol across for a quick milk shake!


The sheep aren't the only ones huddling up against the wind; I spotted this crow this afternoon sheltering in the Christmas tree!



Meanwhile the cats are snuggled up indoors in the warm, and only venture out when they are absolutely desperate for a comfort break!




Maybe I should crochet them all little coats!
What do you think?
xxx

2 comments:

  1. Oooh definitely cat coats - and scarfs - and bobble hats! Hope the sheep are getting on okay x Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it does look cold out there, I often wonder how those little lambs cope with the cold. I think I would snuggle up to mum and her thick fleece for warmth.
    Great pic of the crow and of course the cats have the best posi.....inside near a heater no doubt.

    Claire :}

    ReplyDelete