Ok, I'm struggling a bit here.
Last week was definitely NOT a very happy week, so I don't want to say too much, other than it started with a funeral, followed by bringing Mother-in-law back to stay.
So I might find it difficult to find the Happies.
I'm sure they were there though!
Now don't get me wrong, I love my M-in-law dearly. We have always got on
really well, and have always had loads of fun and giggles together over the years. But she is now definitely very hard work!
She is getting old.
But still shops at New Look!
Picture this: Short skimpy pink top, Leopard print coat, bright pink leggings, red and white sandals, pink fluffy scarf, and pink knitted beret!
I'm sure she brought a smile to a lot of faces!
I'm sure she brought a smile to a lot of faces!
And she is very unsteady on her feet.
But the worst thing, the thing that is so hard to cope with, is the dementia.
She lost her partner of 33 years just before Christmas, and the stress of two years of nursing him, daily hospital visits and then Care Home visits has taken its toll.
And then last week was her sister's funeral.
So I've had ten days of trying to keep her cheerful!
There have been many little trips to the shops, (mainly for tea and cake, which we could have had at home!)
Hours and hours have been spent chatting and reminiscing about old times.
Sitting in front of the fire, even when it was really too warm for a roaring fire, and the rest of us were in tee shirts, but M-in-L was wrapped up in layers of blankets complaining of the cold.
I knew all my crocheted blankets would come in useful!!!
I knew all my crocheted blankets would come in useful!!!
Films have been watched every afternoon, romantic comedies mainly, which M-in-L has requested and then chattered all the way through!
Half the time she thought I was my sister-in-law.
Sometimes she thought she was at my brother-in-law's house.
She woke up in a panic in the night thinking she had been 'put in a care home'
And she asked the same questions, over and over and over, until I wanted to scream.
Yes, it was definitely very hard work!
But there were definitely some Happies in there.
But there were definitely some Happies in there.
And I wouldn't change her for the world!
Just let me have some calm, peaceful, time to myself, before her next visit, with my crochet and my kindle and my painting, my country walks, my baking, my blogging.....
xxx



She sounds marvellous for 90 but I'm sure it can be hard work having her to stay. Sounds like you've had a great relationship with her though; I hope you manage a little me-time before the next visit!
ReplyDeleteDementia is so hard - for everyone involved. Take care of yourself too and enjoy all those things that make you more peaceful.
ReplyDeleteKaren x
Hey Angie, that certainly was a busy week. Your MIL is very lucky to have such a caring DIL.
ReplyDeleteI know how hard dementia can be as I work in an aged care facility (in the kitchen, but deal directly with the residents)
I think it's a lot harder when you are related to people who suffer from it. The constant repetition of questions etc. can
be very wearing, but it sounds like you did a marvellous job.
Hope you've managed to get back to those things which feed the creative side and enjoy some time to your self.
Claire :]