What do two out of three cats prefer?
Yes, you are right, a ball of wool! Or actually a ball of any yarn, it doesn't need to be wool. Actually it doesn't even need to be a ball, it can just be a big messy tangle of yarn! And they're not even fussy about the colour... or whether it's DK or 4ply....or whether you are trying to use it to knit or crochet...
It all started a few weeks ago with the usual argument between me and a cat - I can't remember which one it was.....
One of these two - about who should get the yarn I was trying to crochet with.
I said I needed it to crochet
He - or she, whichever one it was that particular time - said they needed it to play with.
My big mistake was leaving it unattended to put the dinner on - when I came back it was wound round the sofa, under the table, through the hallway, back round the sofa, back under the table.... You get the picture?
So, it was time for action!
I wound up a small ball of yarn and tied it carefully so it wouldn't unravel.
They loved it....
For about ten minutes
Then it was unraveled and threading it's tripping-up-way around the house again.
But I was not to be beaten!
I rewound the ball of yarn, and this time I stitched the yarn through the ball several times using a large darning needle so that it wouldn't come unthreaded again!
It worked!
Peace at last.
For about half an hour...
Then they LOST IT!
I searched everywhere...
Under the furniture, behind the curtains, under the cushions
I couldn't find it.
A few days later I caught Wooster (the Siamese) playing with a bookmark.
Leaping around and throwing it in the air.
He'd stolen it out of a book Mr R was reading.
And the next day I caught Millie (the Tonkinese) playing with it.
She'd stolen it too!
So...
Time for action.
Off I went to the pet shop and bought a lovely selection of cat toys, and laid them out on the floor.
A blue mouse. So cute!
A white mouse
A shiny ball with a bell inside
Another ball with a feather attached
I tried throwing them, rolling them....
NOTHING!
They have now sat around the house for 5 days untouched.
This morning I decided to do some housework.
I actually moved some furniture properly to clean behind....
And Hey Presto! There was the ball of yarn!
A bit dusty and fluffy, having been hiding under the sofa amongst the dust bunnies for a few weeks!
While I've been typing this it has disappeared again...
So it is true, 2 out of three cats DO prefer a ball of yarn!
And the third cat?
Well, Maddie isn't really the chase-a-toy-around-the-house type of cat.
She looks at the toys, sniffs at the ball of yarn...
But really prefers her yarn crocheted into blankets!
xxx











No comments:
Post a Comment