My first ripple, which I really AM trying to finish before it gets even colder, keeps getting pushed to one side as I am loving experimenting with different patterns!
I usually add a bit to it each evening as it keeps me warm while I work on it!
Unfortunately it is now a bit too big to carry around with me.
After seeeing Karen's beautiful colourful crochet-along blanket - if you haven't seen it you really must visit her at Henrys-shed - I decided I just HAD to join in Little Woollie's crochet along too!
And in another in Miss M's room...
And my ripple started in reds and browns for my cosy day room, I had to decide WHERE this colourful stripy blanket would live (I'm a bit sad, and have to colour co-ordinate, I really admire people who can live in a riot of beautiful colours, all mixed up and glorious, but I just can't do it!!)
Of course, having moved to our lovely little cottage last year there aren't many rooms left without a blanket! There's always the lounge,
but that is crying out for more cosy reds, and I don't want to start another project in reds until my ripple is finished.
That just leaves our bedroom, at the moment very plain in creams, but with pink and green on the curtains. The question was, how would Mr B take to me invading the bedroom with my crochet as well? Actually, I didn't even ask him, just chose some lovely colours to go with the curtains and ordered the wool! (I actually should say yarn, as I'm using Woolcraft New Fashion DK acrylic)
I was feeling a bit daunted by the thought of starting a huge blanket in stitches that were completely new to me so I decided to make a practise piece first..
I was feeling quite pleased with it but didn't like the way the single crochet stitches pulled it in too tight; I also wasn't sure about the lighter green and the lilac, and thought my bobbles were a bit messy. I decided not to unravel it, but to keep it so I could look back on my first attempt!
I still didn't feel ready to 'go for the biggy' so my second attempt is a bit bigger and will hopefully end up as a cushion!
![]() |
| This is the beginning, shown with a cushion which matches my curtains, I think it will go together quite nicely! |
![]() |
| I am happier with the granny stripes in just the two colours, it makes it look a bit like a row of flowers |
I've done a few more rows now but haven't yet taken any photos, so will post more on here later.
Thank you for visiting Poppy Cottage, have a good day!








Use a bigger hook for the rows that "bunch2 love the colours you have used.
ReplyDeleteHi Fiona, thanks, I've tried the bigger hook and it works, much better now x
ReplyDeleteOh, your ripple blanket is great I love your limited choice of colours. I do so too, I love all these coloured things but I can't, I have to limit my colours too. Your cushion will become lovely (and the bigger hook is a good idea). Have a great week! Greetings from Germany. Sabine.
ReplyDeleteThank you Sabrine, it's great to read your comments x
ReplyDeleteHi Angie
ReplyDeleteWhat a terrific idea to make a practise piece for the mixed stitch stripey blanket. I'm always too impatient to ever practise anything first and I know I should for the bobble row, but I probably won't ; -) Love your soft, muted colours. Thanks for sharing all your other blankets too, beautiful.