The tale of the amaryllis
Bought in M&S ( - or was it Waitrose? I can't remember!) back in November, in a box, already potted up and ready.
This is what I was expecting it to look like.....
Instructions?
Simply water regularly and keep warm and in daylight, and it will be flowering in 6 weeks.
Sounds easy enough, even I can't fail here.....can I?
Should be flowering by Christmas!
And it's RED!!!
So, what were those instructions again?
Water - tick - watered weekly
Warm - tick - by the radiator
Daylight - tick - on the windowsill
And wait....
And wait.....
And wait....
Christmas came and went!!!!!
Finally, mid January, it started to shoot (didn't think to take photos, it was pretty boring-looking for a while!)
January 21st - AT LAST!
Two flower buds! Hooray!
25th January.....
Is that another flower bud shooting up at the bottom?
January 29th - Yes it is!
Beautiful!
Only one day later! Wow!
And another day...
Wow these things grow fast once they get going!
1st February....
And by that evening....
2nd February...
3rd February
All three flowers on the first stem are open and the second stem bud is opening...
4th February
You can clearly see the three flowers in the bud
I am so pleased with my first amaryllis! And I'm actually glad it didn't flower at Christmas - it wouldn't have made such a dramatic impression amongst the decorations and the poinsetta. And it isn't actually properly RED!!!
xxx





















Your Amarillys is gorgeous Angie....three flower stalks and such pretty flowers.
ReplyDeleteJacquie x
Well done - your amaryllis is waaaaay better than mine. Mine is about three inches tall - at this rate I may have the first summer flowering winter bulb! x
ReplyDeleteisn't it amazing! I have never had one of these before, truly spectacular! Heather x
ReplyDeleteLovely! A beautiful flower!
ReplyDeleteAnd many thanks for your sweet comment on my blog!
Thanks!