Wednesday, 5 December 2012

Nearly there. Slow progress and a bit of a moan

I'm back!
I haven't actually been anywhere, just not in a position (physically or mentally!) to write!
Those of you who have been following my blog will know that I've had the builders in at Poppy Cottage.
I don't think this blog is the place for moaning and groaning and airing my woes, so I apologise right now, and if you really don't want to know then I will understand if you stop reading right now!
But I've started, so I'll finish!
I began telling you all about Poppy Cottage's facelift and waterworks back in October, expecting to bring you happy pictures of work in progress and a wonderful Tah Dah moment when it was all finished 4 weeks later.
Well, here we are in week 8
And the builders are still here!
I can hear you asking
'Why?'
'What unexpected problems did they find?'
None
No problems at all
The only problem we thought there would be was in fixing the guest bathroom, but that was done in no time at all,
And by the end of week 1 they had ripped out our ensuite.
We finally got our bathroom back at the end of week 6!


Almost 6 weeks to fit a bathroom!
6 weeks of noisy, and often rude, builders inside my home
6 weeks of making endless cups of tea and coffee
6 weeks of tripping and slipping on dust sheets
And it still isn't quite there...
A few niggles and things to sort out with the builders.....
We do now have the Victorian side of the cottage rendered
And the scaffolding has been taken down at last
And the skip has been taken away
But they have completely trampled my lovely flower beds
We do now have our roof repaired and gutters replaced
We do now have all our front windows repaired/replaced - but not all painted yet!
Some of them were completely rotten - but they were over 200 years old!
 This one is now finished, but I rather liked the picture taken halfway!
We do now have a porch with a door - but it isn't tiled or decorated yet!
Things have got a bit tense around here I can tell you!
I came close to packing my bags and moving into a Travel lodge - probably would have done if it didn't mean leaving my poor cats here at the mercy of the builders!
I've spent a lot of time in the pub
The builder boss was certainly right when he said it would get worse before it got better - but even he didn't expect it to take THIS long!
So seeing how stressed I was getting he has given me a few days off.
Isn't that kind of him?
(btw I am NEVER sarcastic!)
They are due back tomorrow and have PROMISED to be all finished by the weekend.
So...
I've cleaned up the cottage
It has taken 3 days
The amount of dust is unbelievable!
Never again
OK moan over
Hopefully one day very soon I will be able to show you the finished cottage.
And hopefully share with you some of the crafty stuff I've managed to get done despite the upheaval!
Which is what my blog is supposed to be about after all!
xxx


7 comments:

  1. I'm sure all the stress will be worth it, poppy cottage is looking gorgeous.
    just think it will be all out of the way for the new year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm hoping it will all be done by Christmas, or even better by this weekend! Then I can enjoy putting up the Christmas tree :)

      Delete
  2. Oh blimey, what a load of needless stress. I can sort of identify, we are in the process of moving house, the process started this time last year, we moved into rented in October as travelling an hour for work & new school for 16yo too much and finally got a low offer, took it as no chain, but of course not simple, still not exchanged, still in limbo. There are 34563 other aspects to the tale but can I join you in that lovely looking pub? Poppy Cottage is looking fabulous, if that is any consolation at all! Lovely to have you back. Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Fiona. I can sympathise with your moving stress, we went through all that this time last year, and ended up exchanging and moving within 7 days! Let's hope we are all settled for Christmas! Angie x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Phew! I bet that was good to get off your chest. Deep breathe, and keep on ... it will all be finished *eventually*!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha! You are so right Trudy, I obviously did need to vent my anger! Better on here than directly at the builders I suppose! xx

      Delete
  5. gosh, you have survived the worst! I hope. Just think about the lovely time you will have showing us lovely corners of your home! Heather x

    ReplyDelete